What We Do
Our Secure Future (OSF) works to strengthen the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) agenda to build a more peaceful world through ensuring women’s full participation in governance. Three key areas of opportunity to strengthen the global Women, Peace and Security agenda are:
- Amplifying women’s voices,
- Strengthening the global network of women peacebuilders,
- Promoting committed action by multiple stakeholders to turn policy into practice
Some of the ways we do this are through the Women, Peace and Security Congressional Caucus, civil society consultations with the Executive Branch, and producing original research and policy briefs. Increasing the participation of women in decision-making and the use of a gender perspective in international peace and security are critical to achieving peace through governance.
WE FOCUS ON WOMEN, PEACE AND SECURITY: WHAT IS THAT?
The UN Security Council, after years of persistent advocacy by civil society organizations, unanimously passed Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security in October 2000.
UNSCR 1325 recognizes both the critical role that women play in conflict prevention, resolution, and peacebuilding; and the fact that gender mainstreaming results in more positive outcomes for peace, security, and prosperity. UNSCR 1325 is the first formal recognition by the international community of the critical roles women play in conflict prevention, conflict resolution and peacebuilding. This mandate brings attention to gender equality in all aspects of international peace and security decision-making; based on the four pillars of participation, protection, prevention, and relief and recovery. The UN Security Council subsequently adopted additional resolutions that focus on ending conflict-related sexual violence, addressing obstacles to implementation of UNSCR 1325, and calling for measures of accountability.
For more information click here.
HOW DOES OSF WORK WITH PARTNERS?
- Collaboration and Cross-pollination: One Earth Future Foundation is an operating foundation and therefore Our Secure Future does not solicit or make grants. We partner with organizations with established, credible, global networks of peacebuilders, and with others committed to advancing WPS.
- Research: We are interested in both contributing to and conducting our own cutting-edge research that shows thought leadership.
- Technical Assistance: We support multiple WPS stakeholders through building technical capacity and co-sponsoring or convening events that create space to share good practices and great ideas to advance the WPS agenda.